Virtual Blood Bank

A GCC Initiative to Reach Appropriate Blood Donors to Blood Receivers

Blood Facts

  • An average adult has about 14 to 18 pints of blood
  • One standard unit or pint of blood equals to about two cups
  • Blood carries oxygen and nutrients to all of the body
  • Blood carries carbon-dioxide and other waste products back to the lungs, kidneys and liver for disposal
  • Blood fights against infection and helps to heal wounds
  • Blood is separated into components before use (red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma, platelets, etc.)
  • There are four blood types: A, B, AB and O
  • Each blood type has two sub-type i.e., Rh positive and Rh negative
  • There are about one billion red blood cells in a few drops of blood
  • Red blood cells live about 120 days in our bodies
  • Red blood cells can be stored under normal conditions for up to 42 days
  • Frozen red blood cells can be stored for ten years and more
  • Platelets must be used within five days
  • Platelets are small blood cells that assist in the process of blood clotting helping those with leukemia and other cancers, controlling bleeding
  • Plasma, the fourth major component of blood, is sticky and pale yellow fluid mixture of water containing protein and salts. It is 95% water. The other 5% is made up of nutrients, proteins and hormones
  • Blood plasma constitutes 55% of the whole volume of human blood
  • Plasma helps to maintain blood pressure, carries blood cells, nutrients, enzymes and hormones, and supplies critical proteins for blood clotting and immunity
  • Type AB plasma has been considered as the universal blood plasma type, and therefore, AB plasma can be given to patients with any blood type
  • Frozen plasma can be stored for up to one year
  • Human blood, red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma and platelets are developed naturally by the body in the bone marrow